If you feel stuck, if you don’t have enough energy, if your thoughts are mostly negative, if you don’t know what you want to do in your life, please READ THIS. This CAN help you and WILL help you. If you are happy, but you want to find more harmony in life, feel less stress and anxiety, READ THIS. This post will be quite long, but you are here for a reason and if you want positive changes in your life, take your time, read it and try it There is an audio recording in the end of the post.
Have you ever wanted to find some kind of technique, which could help you to find inner peace, to understand yourself better, to find your talents and purpose, to have more energy and positive thoughts, to forget about stress and anxiety?
I wanted so much and universe decided to helped me. One day I saw an invitation to a new course called “Yoga Nidra”. At that moment I knew a lot about yoga, but I have never heard anything about Yoga Nidra. I decided to try that new course and never looked back since then. First I learned this technique at yoga school, then I started doing it at home. I bought books about this technique, tried different variations and decided to dig deeper and deeper. I know, that Yoga Nidra could help way more than traditional relaxation techniques (progressive muscle relaxation, visualization, autogenic training etc.), which I learned while studying psychology. In my opinion, this is absolutely the best technique to improve your life quality, which one could do nowadays. I love meditation, which have very similar benefits, but sometimes my mind is like monkey, I feel tired and sad, so I can’t sit straight and concentrate, while doing Yoga Nidra means just lying and listening.
What benefits could you get from Yoga Nidra?
Awareness off the different body parts (this is one stage of the technique) stimulates the brain and clears the nerve pathways to the brain. That also helps to achieve deep relaxation.
We all have many wishes, desires and conflicts in our subconscious, which sometimes show up in a form of stress and anxiety. Yoga Nidra clears up the subconscious. So it reduces stress, releases all kinds of tension and makes your sleep better.
Regular practice of Yoga Nidra enhances memory and learning capacity, awakens creativity, intuition. Yoga Nidra makes it easier to enter a meditative state, so this practice is very good for beginners. It can engender a sense of joy and well-being. In other words Yoga Nidra brings wholeness and helps to find your purpose of life. It will bring more positivity, joy and fulfilment. Just give it a try and you will see.
Only one short practice of Yoga Nidra can make a difference, but if you practice regularly, you will see a huge improvement in your life quality.
What is Yoga Nidra?
First let me give you the description of these two Sanskrit words. “Yoga” means to join, to make a connection, to make union, “Nidra” means sleep. So during the practice of Yoga Nidra one goes into deep relaxation, he is only small step away from sleeping, but he is not sleeping. His consciousness is functioning at a deeper level of awareness. In other words it’s a sleep with full awareness.
We all have a lot of tension in our bodies. I want you to feel your face. Is it relaxed? Now try to feel your shoulders. Are they relaxed and without tension? Probably the answer is negative. Physical tension can be eased by stretching or exercising. Massage can help too. But what about subtle tensions? Those tensions are difficult to recognize. We accumulate them during all day, but we aren’t observant, so we don’t see that. Tensions show up in negative emotions, anxiety, concerns etc.
Have you ever felt something heavy in your chest without a reason? Or have you ever felt fear without knowing what you are afraid of? Have you ever started shouting at your friend just because he left a cup in wrong place? That’s tension. Yoga Nidra is a unique method that goes below surface tensions to release stress at its deepest level. During the practice of Yoga Nidra the body sleeps but the mind remains awake listening to the instructions. One achieves the hypnogogic state, this is a state between sleep and wakefulness.
Yoga Nidra is easy to practice. You just have to lie on your back with your feet spread slightly apart from each other. Put your arms at your side with your palms facing up, your fingers curling naturally. Your eyes should be closed as well. This pose is called shavasana. While lying in this pose you just have to listen to the instructor’s voice and try not to fall asleep.
Yoga Nidra is divided into some stages. If we have enough time we can practice all the stages, that will take about 45 minutes. And there are shorter versions which will take about 15 minutes.
Now I will shortly describe all these stages:
• Preparation. You have to lie down as I mentioned earlier listening to instructor’s voice and trying to forget everything in the world. You just have to listen and do what is said to you. You are like a witness, you don’t think if something is good or bad, if you are doing everything right. There are no mistakes in Yoga Nidra, so relax.
• Sankalpa. Sankalpa is a statement, which does something for us. In other words it helps to achieve our purposes and make our dreams come true. You have to think about your sankalpa before Yoga Nidra begins, and you will have to repeat it three times mentally in the beginning and in the end of the practice. You have to repeat it with full determination and confidence. Sankalpa is like a seed, you plant it in your subconscious during deep relaxation and there is no way you will not see the plant later. So you have to choose sankalpa wisely. (e.g. I am calm, relaxed and creative; I live in harmony; I love my job and I am financially secure)
• Rotation of consciousness. In this stage you have to move your awareness around different parts of your body. You have to remain aware listening to the instructions and move the mind rapidly according to the instruction without making the physical movements.
• Awareness of the breath. In fourth stage you have to become aware of your natural breathing. You have to bring your awareness to inhalation and exhalation by counting them mentally.
• Opposite feelings and sensations. This is a very interesting stage in which you have to feel opposite feelings or sensations like heat and cold, heaviness and lightness, pain and pleasure, love and hate, and so on.
• Visualization. During the stage of visualization you have to bring your awareness to the space in front your close eyes. You have to listen what instructor says and visualize objects or situations.
• Ending Yoga Nidra practice. In the end you have to repeat your sankalpa three times as in the beginning. Then you have to move your awareness from your inside to the external sounds and start moving your legs and hands. The practice of Yoga Nidra is finished.
So you want to try?
There are some ways to try it. You can google for Yoga Nidra courses in your town, you could buy a CD with recordings, or you could try my audio recording. There are many variations of Yoga Nidra, so by understanding your main problems and goals, using my knowledge (which I gained in Yoga classes, in psychology studies and work, and in my own practise), I could make Yoga Nidra recording exactly for you. I’ve been practising Yoga Nidra for about 4 years so I know what works the best, I know main obstacles and I can help you to achieve your goals faster. I know how hard is to feel stuck and to live with negative thoughts, so I want to help you to open a new chapter. If you are ready to work for positive changes and if you have any questions, write me an email.